PAA Job Description
PAA Job Description
Advising offices across campus invite interested and qualified students to apply for the position of Peer Academic Advisor (PAA). PAAs in the upcoming application cycle will serve for the entire 2023-2024 academic year and are expected to participate in the training offered during Spring Quarter 2023 and prior to Welcome Week in September 2023, in preparation for Welcome Week activities. Please note that many hiring offices also require work during Summer 2023.
Peer Academic Advisors (PAA) hold office hours and advise students about UCI, academic programs (majors, minors, or honors), and various campus resources. PAAs typically work as a team in each advising office and may be asked to develop and implement additional co-curricular programs and activities relative to the advising program in the school where they work.
Please note, additional duties are required for PAAs in the Campuswide Honors Collegium. See the Honors PAA Job Description on their website.
Role and Responsibilities
The PAA role and responsibilities may vary according to the hiring advising office in each academic unit. However, the following responsibilities apply to all PAAs:
- Counsel undergraduate students on major selection, class scheduling, resource referrals, etc.
- Provide information to students regarding program curriculum and policies, including enrollment exceptions and change of major processes.
- Maintain awareness of
- Current course offerings and programs;
- major, academic unit, and UCI requirements;
- University resources and support services; and
- Campus or school deadlines and policies.
- Be a strong advocate for UCI and its students.
- Maintain an accurate record of students served through online tally system.
- Provide assistance for special projects in the individual advising office.
- Offer assistance and consultation to campus organizations.
- Serve as a liaison between administrative personnel, faculty, and students in resolving academic advising concerns or problems; referring students as needed.
- Convey student concerns/issues to supervisor or other staff, as appropriate.
- Participate in all training seminars prior to employment (campuswide and in the hiring office), as well as ongoing training and team development throughout the year.
- Participate as a member of the Academic Advising Council (AAC) to meet regularly with other campus PAAs, make recommendations for advising improvements, discuss advising issues, and receive further training as necessary.
Competencies to be Acquired
As a PAA, you have the opportunity to learn and develop competencies including:
- Experience in paraprofessional counseling on an individual and group basis
- Communication and public speaking skills
- Problem-solving and teamwork skills working as a part of the professional University staff
- Increased awareness of University services and academic program operations
- Cross- and Inter-cultural fluency working with the diverse University population
- Enhancement of leadership, organization, and professional skills
- Increased familiarity and experience with office technology using a variety of systems throughout the role
Mandatory Training and Time Commitments
- New PAA Training: Every Thursday, 5-7 p.m. (yes, all 10 weeks!) Please note, these weekly training hours are paid.
- Additional hours (to be determined) reviewing training materials, shadowing current PAAs in the hiring office, and attending training conducted by the hiring office.
- Support at New Student Orientation (SPOP) sessions.
- Office advising for summer enrolled and other continuing UCI students.
- Commitments vary by office, please consult the hiring office for details.
Welcome Week 2023
- Fall Refresher Training: Friday, September 22, 2023
- Convocation Ushering: Monday, September 25, 2023
- Advising hours in hiring office
Fall 2023, Winter 2024, Spring 2024
- Fulfilling PAA duties 10 hours/week, including meeting with students and working on projects as directed by the supervisor in the hiring office.
- Participation in all Academic Advisory Committee (AAC) meetings: currently held on Wednesdays from 5-6 p.m. of Weeks 5 and 10 of the Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters.
- Participation in volunteer and paid PAA hours for Academic Integrity Hearings, Residence Hall Advising, and other service as needed.
Peer Academic Advisors are expected to be paid $15.50/hour for the 2023-2024 academic year, pending budget approval.
The PAA Program is holding an information sessions for the current application cycle on Thursday, December 1, 2022 @5pm (via zoom).
Individual Advising Offices may also schedule information sessions specific to their school/program. If you are unable to attend an information session, you can view a previously recorded session using the links below:
For information about eligibility and the process to become a PAA, please review the Become a Peer Academic Advisor page.
For additional information about the application process, you can also review the Application FAQs.
If you still have questions about the application process or position, please contact the PAA Program at email@example.com
Maya Brandy, 2022-2023 PAA Coordinator
Heather Cartagena, PAA Program Director