Become a Peer Academic Advisor
2024-2025 PAA Applications Due Friday, January 19!
Become a Peer Academic Advisor
The highly selective Peer Academic Advising (PAA) Program is currently recruiting new Peer Academic Advisors for the upcoming academic year! All second-years and above with a genuine desire to help other students are invited and encouraged to apply. Applicants should possess advanced communication skills, evidence of scholastic achievement, and basic knowledge of his/her/their major and UCI.
Selected PAA’s will have the opportunity to develop their public speaking and communication skills further, expand their knowledge of UCI’s academic programs and resources, and gain valuable leadership, organizational, and social skills. The PAA position will allow students to achieve heightened success not only here at UCI, but also, in their future endeavors. Above all, PAA’s will assume one of the most respected paid student positions on the UCI campus while providing a valuable service to other undergraduates. Apply today!
Applicants for the 2024-2025 Peer Academic Advising Program should meet all of the following:
- Be a current undergraduate student at UCI of Junior or Senior standing by Fall 2024 (current sophomores and juniors)
- In general, a GPA of 3.0 or better is preferred
- Be available for training 5-7 pm every Thursday of the Spring 2024 quarter
- Be available for working orientation sessions and/or advising office hours Summer 2024 (varies by office)
- Be available for working advising office hours Fall 2024 through Spring 2025
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to respond to students in a helpful manner, either one-on-one or in groups
- Ability to work and relate well with faculty and staff
- Previous experience and knowledge of UCI services and resources is preferred, but not required
As part of your application you will submit the following:
- Online Application Form
- One Reference
- One-page Résumé
The online application will include several short essay questions. Before beginning the application, please consider your responses to the following items:
- Why are you interested in the Peer Academic Advisor position?
- What is your definition of a good Peer Academic Advisor?
- What skills/experiences do you possess that will help you meet the responsibilities of a Peer Academic Advisor?
Application Deadline for 2024-2025: Friday, January 19, 2024, by 11:59:59pm PST *
Review of applications and Interviews for select candidates: January 22 through February 23, 2024
Final selections and notifications: February 27, 2024
Onboarding for new hires: February 28 through March 29, 2024
Training begins: Thursday, April 4, 2024
* Please note that while applications will be accepted until the deadline, most offices will review applications as they are received and potentially contact candidates for interviews prior to the deadline.
The PAA Program held an information session for the current application cycle on Wednesday, December 6, 2023.
If you were unable to attend the information session, you can view the recording and/or presentation slides using the links below:
- 2024-2025 Application: Information Session Zoom Recording
- 2024-2025 Application: Information Session Slides
Individual Advising Offices may also schedule information sessions specific to their school/program.
The Peer Academic Advising Program is committed to serving the diverse population of students at UCI by mirroring this diversity in our cohort of Peer Academic Advisors. We seek to employ students of different backgrounds and experiences, and will consider all applicants who are passionate and qualified, regardless of age, gender identity or expression, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics.
For information about the responsibilities of the position, please review the PAA Job Description.
For additional information about eligibility and the application process, please review the Application FAQ page.
If you still have questions about the application process or position, please contact the PAA Program at firstname.lastname@example.org
Amanda Le, 2023-2024 PAA Program Coordinator
Amber Liang, 2023-2024 PAA Program Assistant
Arely Ramirez, 2023-2024 PAA Program Assistant
Heather Cartagena, PAA Program Director