Henry Samueli School of Engineering
Mariam Al Moubasher
★ Lead Peer Academic Advisor
Major(s): Mechanical Engineering
Hometown: Beirut, Lebanon
* Solar Car Team: Chassis Subteam
* SPOP Staffer
* Knitting and Crocheting
Why do you love UCI?
When I was an incoming student at UCI, I was terrified. I had so many insecurities and anxieties coming into college. However I was subjected to a lot of kindness from my SPOP staffers, who empowered me to challenge my fears and eventually overcome them, in which I became exponentially more excited to attend UCI. Ultimately, I think UCI’s magic comes from its driven students. Driven and passionate people are rare to come by, but UCI seems to have an abundance of them. It is this collective passion to grow and learn that allows UCI to be such a welcoming and loving community. So, I love UCI because of the people that make up UCI.
How can you be a successful Anteater?
Here are a few tips:
(1) Treat yourself with compassion.
(2) Prioritize your well-being, it will avoid burnout and will help you remember why you are here.
(3) Have a method of staying organized, my personal favorite is google calendar.
(4) Surround yourself with good people. Choose to spend your time around people who inspire you to grow, people who will uplift you, and people who bring you happiness.
(5) Find and use your resources. There are so many on campus resources that are here to guide you to success. You are deserving of those resources, utilize them!
What is one fun fact about yourself?
I love fashion! I think it’s such a valuable part of our self expression! I go on thrifting shopping trips with my friends as a destressor and it brings me so much joy when I find a piece I love.